BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND PEAR SOUP
To enhance the wonderful pear flavor in this soup, leave the pear peel on. Yellow Bosc or green Anjou pears suit this soup well. Don’t use overly ripe pears.
1 inch ginger root, peeled and minced
1 cinnamon stick
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
6 cups of vegetable stock
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion peeled and chopped
1/3 cup white wine
2 pears, cored and sliced
½ cup coconut milk
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp white pepper
½ red pepper, diced
1. Put the ginger, cinnamon stick, squash and sweet potato in a soup pot. Cover with vegetable stock. Bring to a boil; then reduce to a simmer.
2. While the vegetables are simmering in the soup pot, heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add onion and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes.
3. Add white wine and chopped pears to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until wine is reduced; then add to the soup pot.
4. When the squash and sweet potatoes are cooked, about 30 minutes, add the coconut milk, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat. Take out the cinnamon stick.
5. Puree in a food processor or with a hand blender. To puree in a blender, first let the soup cool; then reheat to serve. With a hand blender, you can puree while the soup is still hot.
6. Garnish with finely diced red pepper and serve.